Builders Insurance

Offer complete Protection for Your Employees & Customers

As a builder, having insurance protects you from unforeseen circumstances and events that may happen during a building or construction project. The following information will help you make an informed choice when looking to buy an insurance package for your company.

Types of Insurance

  1. Compulsory insurance

Compulsory insurance is usually taken out separately to the business insurance when operating as a builder in Queensland. It protects you from any injury when operating in Queensland. The third party insurance companies provide this insurance.

2. Workers’ compensation insurance

All employers of the building company must have the workers’ compensation insurance that protects them during their daily duties when offering building services. We recommend one to get advice on the workers’ compensation insurance by contacting Work Cover Queensland.

3. Compulsory third party (CTP) insurance

This will always protect your customers from professional incompetency whenever they are providing the building services for the customers. This cover is a $20 million policy that would ensure that all the customers are given the peace of mind they need when entering a contractor with a builder..

The third party insurance firms in Queensland offer a range of insurance types for builders:

Insurance Packages

  • Public liability – covers all your potential liabilities to the third parties for any personal injury or even any damage to the property when building
  • Employees’ liability – it includes the workers’ compensation that is compulsory for all the building companies or contractors employing staff
  • Fidelity guarantee –protects fraud or dishonesty committed by the employees when building
  • Products liability – if they use any product that may cause harm, damage or loss
  • Employment practices liability – often covers costs and damages resulting from the building services that they offer for the residents.

Do you research before taking a plan as many companies offer different plans and incentives.

Other compulsory insurance

You may need additional insurance covers as per the Queensland Building & Construction Commission (QBCC) or home warranty insurance for homeowners when offering them these services.

Professional indemnity insurance

Professional indemnity insurance will protect the builder or contractor on claims made against him or her relating to provision of the professional advice/ services.

The insurance cover can work on:

  • Design work
  • Financial planning
  • Management of their interests.
  • Claims made against you.


Remember to always do your research before deciding, you can also use an insurance broker who could help you in making the right choice for your business.